[R] Embedding R's math expressions fonts for graphics generated by pdf() and postscript()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 13 09:28:35 CEST 2011

Please study the help page for pdf (as the posting guide asked you to
do before posting).

This is a documented problem with fontconfig/cairo-based viewers,
which evince is.

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Vinh Nguyen wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> First, I am not writing to ask about embedding Computer Modern font in
> graphics produced by R.
>
> I am generating plots to be saved using pdf() and postscript() in R,
> and I make use of some math expressions that are provided by R,
> namely, some greek letters.  My question is, do I need to embed the
> fonts that include these math symbols (say, if they are going out for
> publication, to have a self-contained file)?
>
> According to the documentation of the function embedFonts:
>
>     This function is not necessary if you just use the standard
>     default fonts for PostScript and PDF output.
>
> I am not sure whether the math symbols are "standard default fonts".

No, they are symbols.  But they are plotted using Adobe Symbol, one of
the 'standard default fonts' which should be available to all PDF
viewers.