[R] R-help Digest, Vol 99, Issue 17

Vikas Garud information4vikas at gmail.com
Fri May 20 07:20:20 CEST 2011

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 15
> Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:03:57 +0100
> From: Timothy Bates <timothy.c.bates at gmail.com>
> To: R list <r-help at r-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [R] Box Plot under GUI (R Commander/RKward)
>
> something like this will get you going, assuming your data are in a dataframe called ?qual?
>
> # qual <- read.table(pipe("pbpaste"), header=T, sep='\t')
> boxplot(formula=Time~Distance+Season, data=qual)
>

> Followup question from me:
>
> i can?t see why
> boxplot(formula=Time, data=qual)
>
> should return the error "can?t find Time?  ?Time~" and ?~Time" don?t help
>
> Doesn?t that make the formula interface to boxplot broken for one-variable non grouped plots?

Thanks Timothy for the help.  Just for background, I am attaching
MInitab 15 output.  I would like something equivalent in output for
people to understand the power of tools like Boxplot.  If convinced,
the clients could take the effort to learn R with rudimentary GUI
support.

I did Rkward and R console combination.  Used Rkward to load the data
and set it active.  In R console I used
boxplot(formula=Time~Distance+Transporter+Tonnage, data=Transportation.Time).
Resultant output (attached to this mail) is the best equivalent
output.  I will be able to use this output in training sessions.

And yes, the formula seems broken for single variable without any grouping.

Thanks for the help.
Vikas Garud