[R] Thiessen Method

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu May 26 20:43:21 CEST 2011

Federico,

I understand what you are after — you want time-series estimates based on the Thiessen polygon estimates
taken from the station time-series data. My recommendation is that the process of doing this would be far
easier using something like GRASS GIS, possibly in conjunction with R (since they play together very well).

Unfortunately, lots of coding/scripting is needed — I can not see that there are a few R commands you can
make to pull this off.

The process would look something like:

(1) import all station data for time step 1 (all data could be imported at one time, but this complicates the process)
(2) make Thiessen polygons based on (1)
(3) write-out results from (2)
(4) repeat (1)-(3) for each time step
(5) concatenate individual Thiessen polygon time-series results sequentially

This kind of thing is pretty straight-forward and keeps computers happy!

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams