[R] Count of rows while looping through data

Jeanna stroutj at uw.edu
Fri May 27 18:20:03 CEST 2011

I may have prematurely excited...

I ended up using the split method since my family indicators are
alphanumeric so my issue is as follows.

I'm applying this to different subsets of my main data set.  The subsets do
not contain all families.  When I run the method on one of my subsets I get
back a table that includes ALL the families.  Those that weren't in the
subset to which I applied the method have <NA> for all of the fields.

If I export one of the subsets, restart R (to be certain nothing of my
original playtime is left) and import only the subset, the method works
perfectly.

The addition of the previously removed rows seems to happen at the 'split'
step.

Is there something I'm doing incorrectly?  I can't seem to figure out how to
convince R not to look at my original data frame when deciding how many
families there are.