[R] Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Brian Diggs diggsb at ohsu.edu
Thu Nov 3 21:36:22 CET 2011

On 11/3/2011 12:37 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
> re-check some
> of the packages that I maintain.
>
> I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my "deldir"
> package):
>
>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>> LaTeX errors found:
>> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>> (TFM) file n
>> ot found.
>> <to be read again>
>> relax
>> l.19 ...lf Turner }\email{r.turner at auckland.ac.nz}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character h).
>> \Url at FormatString ...\Url at String \UrlRight \m at th $
>>
>> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>> \AsIs{}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
>> \Url at FormatString ...\Url at String \UrlRight \m at th $
>>
>> l.26 ...\AsIs{}\url{http://www.math.unb.ca/~rolf/}
>> \AsIs{}
>> ! \textfont 0 is undefined (character t).
> ...... etc., etc., etc., ad (almost) infinitum.
>
> So there's some problem with a font file not being "loadable".
>
> Can anyone tell me what the <expletive deleted> I should ***do***
> about this? I managed to install the "inconsolata" package from CTAN.
> At least I think I managed; I downloaded the *.zip file and then unzipped
> it in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex. And ran "texhash". This stopped R CMD
> check from complaining that the "inconsolata" package could not be found,
> but then led to the further complaint described above.
>
> So how do I make the required font "loadable"? What files do I need?
> Where do I get them? And where should I put them once I've got them?
>
> I would be grateful for any assistance that can be rendered.
>
> (I know it's "just a warning", but I *hate* to ignore warnings!)
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> P. S. I'm running Ubuntu; session info, in case it's of any relevance is:
>
> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
> [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
> [7] LC_PAPER=C LC_NAME=C
> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] misc_0.0-15

I'm having a similar, though different, problem with inconsolata.  It
may be the same root problem.  The error on R CMD check I get is:

* checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
This typically indicates Rd problems.
LaTeX errors found:
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
at 540 n
ot found
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Now, oddly, there _is_ a -manual.pdf file in the .Rcheck directory
(despite the message saying no PDf was produced).  If I just try to run
the pdflatex on the -manual.tex file in that directory, I get the same
error and no PDF (?!)

I am on Windows 7 64 bit using MiKTeX 2.9; I get the same error whether
I use the 32 or 64 bit version of R for R CMD check.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

Some info from my tex installation (showing I have inconsolata installed
and that I am pulling the correct Rd.sty):

C:\>kpsewhich Rd.sty
C:/Program Files/R/R-2.14.0/share/texmf/tex/latex/Rd.sty

C:\>kpsewhich inconsolata.sty
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/tex/latex/inconsolata/inconsolata.sty

C:\>kpsewhich ec-inconsolata.tfm
C:/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX
2.9/fonts/tfm/public/inconsolata/ec-inconsolata.tfm

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery