[R] Problem with R CMD check and the inconsolata font business.

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 3 22:29:36 CET 2011

On 03/11/11 20:37, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I have just installed R version 2.14.0 and tried to re-build and
> re-check some
> of the packages that I maintain.
>
> I'm getting a warning (in the process of running R CMD check on my
> "deldir"
> package):
>
>> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
>> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
>> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>> LaTeX errors found:
>> ! Font T1/fi4/m/n/10=ec-inconsolata at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>> (TFM) file n
>> ot found.
>> <to be read again>

<SNIP>

I received two replies off-line and one that was sent to the list.  The
gist of the
off-line replies was ``you need to install some fonts'', and (unusually,
and very
kindly! :-) ) the responders told me *how* to do so.

The first message that I read was from John Nash who wrote:
> Have you tried
>
> sudo apt-get install texlive-fonts-extra
>
> to get the font in? I had to do this just yesterday myself.
>
> If that works, maybe put a note on R-help. I've not sent to R-help in case it doesn't
> work, and we get a bunch of unnecessary noise.

Well it *did* work; thank you very much John!

A similar message from G. Jay Kerns said:
> It looks like you are missing some font files.  Did you do:
>
> apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended ?

The third message (which *was* posted to the list) was from Brian Diggs,
who said that he was having a related problem:

> The error on R CMD check I get is:
>
> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex.EXE (file ec-inconsolata): Font ec-inconsolata
> at 540 n
> ot found
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I think this is the same as/similar to the problem I had before I installed
the inconsolata (LaTeX) package from CTAN.  Since Brian does Windoze I
cannot advise as to how to install the package on his system, but I presume
it is not too difficult --- once you know how! :-)

I'm posting this so that John Nash's and Jay Kerns' solutions to my problem
are there in the archives ``for the record''.

Thanks to all who replied.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner