[R] Error in Summary.factor(c(1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 4L, : max not meaningful for factors

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Nov 10 15:19:15 CET 2011

Hi

> Thanks Duncan.
>
> This is a package, SIAR.
>
> > fo <- ordered(f)
>  > fo
> [1] a b c d e
> Levels: a < b < c < d < e
>  > max(fo)
> [1] e
> Levels: a < b < c < d < e
>
> The data set has 101 values, what can I use instead of letters?

Why do you need to use letters? AFAIK this was only illustration what
could be root of the error message. If the function requires ordered
factor you can use

your.ordered.factor <- ordered(your.unordered.factor)

I do not remember original mail but to get rid of error message, the
function probably needs as an input ordered factor or numeric values. You
shall consult help page for this function which option is valid.

Regards
Petr