[R] Win upgrade pb (virus)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 11:54:41 CET 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Mario Valle wrote:

> I just upgraded my Win7 32bits installation to 2.14.0 after deinstalling
> 2.12.x
> First thing I moved the win-library from 2.12 to 2.14 and executed a
> update.packages(ask='graphics',checkBuilt=TRUE)
> (Swiss mirror).
> This aborts with the console message:
>
> Error in if (any(diff)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>
> And the antivirus (AVG) pops up complaining that colorspace.dll contains the
> virus Win32/Heur
> I cannot ignore the thread because update.packages has already crashed when I
> can reach the antivirus dialogbox to push the "ignore" button.
> To continue I had to remove the colorspace and ggplot2 packages.
>
> Is it a known problem? What else can I do (except removing the above packages
> or changing antivirus)?

Yes (a known problem in AVG), and the standard advice is to change
antivirus (or set exceptions, which I gather AVG does not allow).
And please report the false positive to AVG: the more they hear about
the more attention they will give it.

The binary distribution has been checked by e.g. Sophos (which both
winbuilder and ox.ac.uk use).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk