[R] Win upgrade pb (virus)

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 23:47:24 CET 2011

I would suggestto Mario that, if he wishes to use colorspace and keep
AVG,  he should install R 2.13.2.  The colorspace library built with
that version of R does not give a false positive with AVG.  To update
paackages he must remove not only colorspace but also its reverse
dependencies, the reverse dependencies of its dependencies etc.

 I have done this and am running 2.13.2 and 2.14 in parallel.  If you
upgrade R to a new version it is always worthwhile to keep the older
version until you are sure that the new version can run all the
packages that you need.  Apart from problems with anti-virus software
there is a posibility that there may be a delay in  one of your
packages or a dependency becoming available.

I have reported the false positive to AVG and have received an
acknowledgment from them.  The AVG program contains a facility for
reporting false positives. Please use it and put a little more
pressure on them to update their software.

The web site http://virusscan.jotti.org allows you to submit a problem
file to 20 different anti-virus programs.  Only 1 program (AVG) finds
a problem in colorspace.dll.  The other 19 pass the file.

Best Regards

John