[R] R development master class: NYC, Dec 12-13

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Sun Nov 13 18:34:35 CET 2011

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind the slightly off topic email, but I'm going to
be teaching an R development master class in New York City on Dec
12-13. The basic idea of the class is to help you write better code,
focused on the mantra of "do not repeat yourself". In day one you will
learn powerful new tools of abstraction, allowing you to solve a wider
range of problems with fewer lines of code. Day two will teach you how
to make packages, the fundamental unit of code distribution in R,
allowing others to save time by allowing them to use your code.

To get the most out of this course, you should have some experience
programming in R already: you should be familiar with writing
functions, and the basic data structures of R: vectors, matrices,
arrays, lists and data frames. You will find the course particularly
useful if you're an experienced R user looking to take the next step,
or if you're moving to R from other programming languages and you want
to quickly get up to speed with R's unique features. A couple session
outline is available at http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2492641558

Both days will incorporate a mix of lectures and hands-on learning.
Expect to learn about a topic and then immediately put it into
practice with a small example. Plenty of help will be available if you
get stuck. You'll receive a printed copy of all slides, as well as
electronic access to the slides, code and data. The material covered
in the course is currently being turned into a book. You can access
the current draft at https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/.

Limited discounts for students (66% off) and academics (33% off) are
available - please contact me for details.

Find out more and sign up at http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2492641558

Regards,

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/