[R] R development master class: NYC, Dec 12-13

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:58:23 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Some of the money I earn from these courses goes to pay for my summer
>> salary and supports student research. It also gives me confidence that
>> if I don't get tenure because I've been writing R packages instead of
>> papers, I can keep doing the work I love.
>
> If that actually happens, that would be an amazing/colossal (not in a
> good way) testament to how well the "rating system" works in academia.

I'm not in academia, but government research. I do go through a review
very similar to the tenure process. Last time, I was told that I couldn't list
my R package and associated papers as a research activity with substantial
impact because it was outside my official scope of work. (Even though I
wrote it so I could *do* my work.) I have no trouble seeing academic
administrators do the same thing.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee