[R] R: Problems using log() in a plm() regression.

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Wed Nov 23 12:24:28 CET 2011

Hello. Just a quick follow-up, for other 'plm' users on the list:

- the problem turned out to be logs of zero values hidden in the big dataset
- trying log(xx) would not reveal the problem, because log(0)=-Inf is a valid result in log() while it is an invalid input to plm()
--> it is always advisable to try lm(yourformula, yourdata) as a first diagnostic check when plm(yourformula, yourdata, ...) fails: the result should be the same as plm(yourformula, yourdata, model="pooling"); or, for more complicated instances, a more specific "computationally robust" counterpart is lme() from 'nlme'.

Best,
Giovanni

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Millo Giovanni
Inviato: martedì 22 novembre 2011 13.14
A: 'steiner-manuel at web.de'
Cc: r-help at r-project.org
Oggetto: [R] Problems using log() in a plm() regression.

Hello Manuel.

Yes please, would you send me the data to reproduce the example? Else I cannot tell, although this error is typical of undefined logs (zero or negative argument).

Two general observations, for now:
- inserting special characters like '*' in variable names is looking for trouble
- a good first step in diagnosing 'plm' errors is always to check the same specification (formula+data) on lm()

Please remember to exclude the r-help list from the reply containing the dataset. I will treat it with confidentiality.

Let me know
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo, PhD
Research Dept.,