[R] fixed-effect or random-effect ANOVA model

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 12:40:35 CET 2011

Hello,

I have a big study to analyse and I am unsure of which technique to use.

I have a group of patients suffering from disease 1. This group further
divides into 4 sub groups A, B, C and D

On the other hand I have another group of patients suffering from disease 2.
This group divides into 5 sub groups E, F, G, H and I.

The aim of my analysis is to check whether there are proteins which are
significantly changed between the two different types of diseases.

For the analysis I would pool all patients suffering from disease 1 together
to obtain a single group. I would do the same for disease 2. Then I would
use either a fixed-effects or random-effects ANOVA to identify significantly
changed analytes.

When I started to read about the different types of ANOVA's I came across
the q-statistics which is used to account for the heterogeneity within a
group. So it checks whether the effect size between sub-group A, B, C and D
is approx. the same.

Does this analysis make sense or how would you analyse this kind of data? Is
there an R package which can easily deal with such situations?

Cheers,
syrvn