[R] How to run Bibtex with pdfLatex in StatEt/MikTex on Windows ?

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Mon Oct 3 18:48:06 CEST 2011

Hi Duncan,

you were right. texi2dvi does latex + bibtex. Unfortunately I cannot get it
running.

When I run texi2dvi(file = "path/to/tex/file", pdf=TRUE, quiet=FALSE) then I
get the following error message:

Error in texi2dvi(file = "/Users/XXX/Desktop/test/body.tex", texinputs =
"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/share/texmf/tex/latex/tex",  :
  Running 'texi2dvi' on '/Users/XXX/Desktop/test/body.tex' failed.
Output:
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
  apt-get install tetex-bin

So the output tells us it cannot find a a tex binary file. If I open my
terminal and type in:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/share/texmf/tex/latex/tex

I get the following output:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)
**

which means the tex binary is there.