[R] plotting large time series

Agnes Richard agnes.richard at fhnw.ch
Thu Oct 27 17:39:20 CEST 2011

hello,

I got a problem with plotting large time series, since I want to store
the results in a .PDF file (I want to store several pages of plots). The
PDF files get too large to be handled (> 10MB, one was even 200MB big).

So I wonder, if there would be a possibilty to either
- reduce the file size of the PDF
- change the way the plot is generated to reduce the plot size?

I use:
plot(myDate,myFile[,1],type="l",xlab="Date")

using
myts = as.ts(start=myDate[1],end=myDate[length(myDate)],x=myFile[,1])
plot.ts(myts,xlab="Date")

produces the same file size.

for storing the PDF I use:
pdf(file=paste(outpath,"myPDF.pdf",sep=''),paper="a4r").

I would be very grateful for an answer!!!!