[R] plotting large time series

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 02:46:54 CEST 2011

Try another format (tiff, jpg, etc) to see how they look, what the
sizes are for different resolutions.  If you have a lot of single
points, PDF files get very large because of the commands used to print
each point.  If you want to keep PDF, then find some way of
aggregating the data points so that you plot an "average" of several
of them.  Depending on what you are trying to show, I have used the
hexbin package to plot large numbers of points.

Why do you need PDFs?  Will something else do?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Agnes Richard <agnes.richard at fhnw.ch> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I got a problem with plotting large time series, since I want to store the
> results in a .PDF file (I want to store several pages of plots). The PDF
> files get too large to be handled (> 10MB, one was even 200MB big).
>
> So I wonder, if there would be a possibilty to either
> - reduce the file size of the PDF
> - change the way the plot is generated to reduce the plot size?
>
> I use:
> plot(myDate,myFile[,1],type="l",xlab="Date")
>
> using
> myts = as.ts(start=myDate[1],end=myDate[length(myDate)],x=myFile[,1])
> plot.ts(myts,xlab="Date")
>
> produces the same file size.
>
> for storing the PDF I use:
> pdf(file=paste(outpath,"myPDF.pdf",sep=''),paper="a4r").
>
> I would be very grateful for an answer!!!!

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru