[R] Converting ID Numbers to Unique ID Number

Totally Inept joe.kramer at forwardhealthgroup.com
Tue Sep 20 17:50:37 CEST 2011

First off, let me apologize for the elementary question. I'm obviously a
novice.

Here's a stripped version of my problem.

March
foreign id = 1234, my id = 1
foreign id = 1235, my id = 2
foreign id = 1236, my id = 3

So we are adding new people for April, and things don't necessarily come in
order:

April
foreign id = 1236
foreign id = 5000
foreign id = 1234
foreign id = 1235
foreign id = 7777

I need to create a vector of my own IDs. "1236" would obviously need to be
translated to my id = 3 but I would also need to incrementally add a new "my
id" for our new entry, so I'd want foreign id 5000 to be translated to my id
4, and foreign id = 7777 to be translated into my id 5.

Please help! I have puzzled over this for far longer than I'd care to admit,
late into last night and now all morning.