[R] r-package RDCOMClient

lm shinilkumar at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:01:25 CEST 2012

Hi, I am new to R. I was trying to use RDCOMClient package to access com
object based applications within R. This has been working fine for a while.
I have identical set up on two PCs (R-2.1.10 running on XP both on network
so same profile). Recently while installing a new package, I had to upgrade
one of the PCs to R-2.14.0 and since then while calling the methods or
accessing properties make RGui to crash.

i.e.

ex = COMCreate("Excel.Application") works fine before and after R upgrade (I
can see Excel under task manager. But ex[["Visible"]] = TRUE will crash the
RGui.

On the same PC, I can interact with Bloomberg using RBloomberg package
before and after R upgrade.

I tried to uninstall R-2.14.0 and reinstall R-2.10.0 and still does not
work.

I thought it could be to do with COM objects registry issues   etc. , so a
complete rebuild of the PC might fix the issue. Instead of rebuilding the
PC, I  replaced my old hard disk with a new one and unfortunately had no
joy.

I wonder if anyone had faced similar issues. Any help on this will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
lm