[R] Printing a summary

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:38:23 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM, darnold <dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> Is this typical of how people will print a summary of results?
>
> CoinTosses <- function(n) {
>   x <- sample(c(0,1), n, replace=TRUE)
>   y <- x
>   y[y==0] <- "T"
>   y[y==1] <- "H"
>   numHeads <- sum(x)
>   numTails <- n-sum(x)
>   p <- numHeads/n
>   cat(cat(y,sep=""),"\n")
>   cat("Number of heads: ", numHeads, "\n")
>   cat("Number of tails: ", numTails, "\n")
>   cat("The proportion of heads is: ", p, "\n")
> }
>
> CoinTosses(40)
>
> Or is another technique preferred?

cat() is certainly a reasonable way to print results (print might also
work) -- really whatever works for you, though I might prefer your
function only return the values and that those are printed
automatically at the top level.

Also, I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at so feel free to
ignore it if I'm off base, but

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#How-should-I-write-summary-methods_003f

Best,
Michael