[R] Printing a summary

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:38:54 CEST 2012

Hi,

I find it better to return a named list so that users can do what they
want with the results rather than just looking at them, which is all
your approach allows. That's not incompatible with printing the
results to the screen as well:

 CoinTosses <- function(n, verbose=TRUE) {
   x <- sample(c(0,1), n, replace=TRUE)
   y <- x
   y[y==0] <- "T"
   y[y==1] <- "H"
   numHeads <- sum(x)
   numTails <- n-sum(x)
   p <- numHeads/n
   if(verbose) {
      cat(cat(y,sep=""),"\n")
      cat("Number of heads: ", numHeads, "\n")
      cat("Number of tails: ", numTails, "\n")
      cat("The proportion of heads is: ", p, "\n")
   }
   list(numHeads = numHeads, numTails = numTails, p = p)
}

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee