[R] low resolution word map

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Aug 6 11:28:19 CEST 2012

On 2/08/2012 8:06 a.m., Thomas Steiner wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> 2012/7/31 Ray Brownrigg <Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz>:
>> On 07/28/12 23:46, Thomas Steiner wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'd like to have a low resolution word map in R.
>>> The "maps" package has this option, but if I use the argument, the map
>>> looses sense: Russia and Australia get empty etc
>>>
>>> library("maps")
>>> m=map(col="skyblue",fill=TRUE,plot=TRUE,resolution=10)
>>> length(m$x)
>>>
>>> If I drop the "fill=TRUE", the effect of "resolutaion=10000" is lost,
>> I don't know why this is so, I hadn't realised that effect of resolution
>> with fill=TRUE.
> I don't understand either, but I left this observation to the developpers ;-)
>
>>> ie no change. Is there any other package or could I use the resolution
>>> argument differently?
>> Well, you could say:
>> m=map(col=0,fill=TRUE, resolution=10)
>>
>> Is that what you want?
> no, if you look at the output (ie the map) you know why: little
> islands like hawaii do still exist, but brazil is a rectangle of say 8
> points...
Unfortunately, I don't "know why".  What exactly do you mean by "low
resolution map"?  A point is a point at whatever resolution you choose.
What do you expect to see?

Perhaps you need to read the posting guide again, and provide
reproducible code ("resolutaion=10000" is not a valid option to map(),
and does not match your earlier "resolution=10").

Ray Brownrigg