[R] make check fails two tests on RHEL 6 build

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 07:19:52 CEST 2012

On 21/08/2012 22:46, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Bennet Fauber <bennet at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> As a follow-up to my prior post, if I remove --with-blas
>> --with-lapack, then the stats test passes:

>> Testing examples for package ‘stats’
>>   comparing ‘stats-Ex.Rout’ to ‘stats-Ex.Rout.save’ ... OK
>>
>> Perhaps this is now a question about building R with the Intel MKL
>> libraries instead of one about the make check.
>>
>> Thanks,  -- bennet
>
> <snip>
>
> Hi,
>
> Three quick comments:
>
> 1. I don't have hands on experience with MKL, but would direct you to the R Installation and Administration Manual section that is relevant:
>
>    http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#MKL

Or even better, the very latest version at
http://r.research.att.com/man/ .  As it happens the advice for MKL was
changed last week (MKL itself changes fast).

> 2. Lower level compiling related queries are best directed to the R-Devel list, rather than R-Help. If you need to post follow ups, I would suggest that you subscribe to R-Devel at:

> and post there.
>
> 3. Notwithstanding the above, I presume that you have specific reasons for using MKL and compiling R from source? Just in case you are not aware, there are pre-compiled RPM binaries of R 2.15.1 available for RHEL from the EPEL:
>
>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> Installing R from there is as easy as adding the EPEL to your repo list and using 'yum install R' as root (eg. via sudo) from the CLI.

If you have a modern Intel CPU and need to use large matrices the
speedups can be dramatic.  But you trade accuracy for speed: see the
comments in the manual including that --with-lapack is strongly *not
recommended*.  Having said that, my MKL build with --with-lapack passes
all its tests on my Xeon E5-5690 (but has not on other CPUs and other
versions of MKL).

More generally, the RPMS are not tuned to your CPU and the right tuning
can speed up R by a few percent.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk