[R] write.matrix.csr data conversion

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 06:48:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Sam Steingold <sds at gnu.org> wrote:
>> * R. Michael Weylandt <zvpunry.jrlynaqg at tznvy.pbz> [2012-08-28 17:16:35 -0500]:
>>
>> install.packages by default goes to CRAN (the stable repository):
>
> how often are stable released made?
> weekly? monthly?

At the discretion of the package maintainers and the CRAN maintainers.
There's an RSS feed (CRANberries) if you want to see what is being
updated when.

>> if you want the bleeding edge, install e1071 from R-forge (note you
>> might need a source install if the build bot hasn't gotten to it since
>> the update)
>
> I am not prepared to learn much in that district yet.
> I would be interested in something similar to install.package(), but not beyond.

Source installs are generally easy: just add type = "source" to
install.packages() and you should be good to go. This should find
compilers and system headers if needed for that package. Packages that
link to libraries elsewhere on your machine can obviously be trickier
and should probably be done through your package manager if possible.

>> https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=786
>
>>> Version: 1.6 | Last change: 2011-09-13 15:18:16+02 | Rev.: 447
>
> this seems to imply that the changes I am interested in are not
> available yet.

Yes, it seems that Prof Meyer hasn't pushed the changes to R forge
yet. I don't know if he makes his working repos available elsewhere.

>>> install.packages("e1071", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
>
> this seems to install the same 1.6 yet again.
> why doesn't it check that this same version has already been installed?

install.packages() forces a new install as both the name and the help
file suggest. Perhaps you are looking for update.packages()?

Michael