[R] R-Project at university.

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:12:02 CET 2012

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer so this all should be verified elsewhere,
but best I understand it (and would welcome verification by someone
who knows more about this):

The R-Project (broadly taken) is an extensive collection of packages +
a core interpreter. The interpreter, the base packages, and most
available add-on packages are licensed on the GPL (GNU Public
License). Consequently they are free for use, no charge for anyone:
however, commercial redistribution is trickier since the GPL is
"copyleft". If you don't have any intent to redistribute (i.e., to
write R code to give to anyone else) the license questions almost
certainly don't apply to you. If you are wiling to put your code under
a widely accepted open-source license, it is quite easy to
redistribute and the R-Project (in the form of CRAN) provides a
powerful platform for doing so.

Much more information can be found about this here:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Certainly, in my experience, it is widely used by faculty and students
in an academic context with no legal worries.

R is an interpreted language, so one can't make executables from it.
Anything else you want to do, you can do for free. Including ordering
pizza! (though I imagine one would still be expected to pay for the
pizza)

Michael