[R] Restricting R session

Antonio Rodriges antonio.rrz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:04:22 CET 2012

Uwe,

> The opposite: It implies it is extremely flexible in the sense a user can do
> anything the OS allows, e.g by installation of packages that reimplement
> functions you had prohibited before. I don't see why this is related to
> cloud services. In a cloud process, again, the user can do as much with R as
> the OS allows, hence you may want to run it in a virtual machine in such a
> case.
Running a dedicated virtual machine for each user is very wasteful in
case when a user interactively and occaionally issues commands to R.
If a user needs only 100 MB of RAM at max, for free 3GB we will
satisfy only 6 of them. The VM will eat at least 256 MB as a minimum
requirement to run an OS. Consider also time to start up a VM,
managing lots of VMs for each user separately which will lie somewhere
on a HDD inactively taking also 1GB each (approx)

Kind regards,
Antonio Rodriges