[R] Nabble? Was Re: function to replace values doesn't work on vectors

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:48:21 CET 2012

Interesting: The email I received through the R-help list didn't have
all the information that was apparently there:

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> WoutH wrote
>>
>> I've got a numeric vector with values ranging from 1 to 5, I would like to
>> catagorize these values like this:
>>
>> 1 becomes catagory 1
>> 3 becomes catagory 3
>> And everything else in catagory 2. The simple function I wrote beneath
>> works for single numeric data, but for some reason I am unable to feed it
>> vectors. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm fairly new to R.
>>
>> function.123 <- function(x)
>>     {
>>       x1 <- ifelse(x == 1 | x == 3, return(x) ,return(2))
>>       return(x1)
>>     }

This function? Not in the original email as I received it, although it showed
up in Berend's reply.

I hope that it was a momentary glitch; greater disagreement between Nabble
and the email list will cause all sorts of fun. If the interface,
whatever it is,
starts stripping out code? I'll have to quit answering Nabble queries entirely.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org