[R] Problem Installing R to SuSE 10 via RPM

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:34:28 CET 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 17:43 , Matthew Pettis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install R from an rpm locally to my account (the reason I'm
> not doing it through yast/yast2/zypper is that the sys admin isn't yet
> willing to install it, and doesn't want to support it, but will help me
> support it if I install it locally -- in short, policy problems rather than
> technical).  Below is the SuSE version, Kernel version, and rpm install
> error I'm getting, as well as the error...

As others have said, installing from RPM outside the system folders could be a no-go. Another option is to install from source, this works fine if you have all the relevant packages installed (compilers, libraries, header files...). If you don't already have them get your sysadm to install them (say, one per day over a couple of weeks, until he sees the error of his ways...).

But really, the painless option for both of you is just to install it from the official SUSE sources with yast, keep it updated automagically, and keep all add-on packages in your own home directory. The sysadmin workload for R on SUSE (and most other Linuxen) should be essentially nil.