[R] Averaging within a range of values

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Jan 14 01:54:52 CET 2012

Lack of context and examples is making this hard to follow, but my stabs at answers are

1) cut cannot guarantee that all numeric inputs will have unique factor results if you use two columns to define the ranges. That is, the ranges could overlap (multiple answers), or there could be gaps (no answer). I think the short answer is "no" if I understand you.

I don't understand why you don't just remove 500 from the breaks vector if you don't want it there.

2) I suspect cut is the answer to your question, since you give it a numeric vector and breaks specification, and the resulting answer has one element for every numeric in the vector you gave it. It is common to assign the result of cut to a new column in your data frame. However, I may have misunderstood your question.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing