[R] Help for boxplot

adamshun discoveryonthemars at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:21:24 CEST 2012

Hi guys,

I am doing a project to evaluate the 7 individual fund performance from a
portfolio compared with all fund performance utilizing the same strategy.

Lets say in total there are 10 strategies and in the portfolio there exist 5
strategies.

First, i use the BOXPLOT() and SUBSET() to produce the box plot of all the 5
funds performance individually:

#identify funds in strategies within the portfolio
filteredFunds = subset(allfunds,Strategy %in% portStrats);

#create box plot
boxplot(NetReturn~Strategy,data=filteredFunds,horizontal=TRUE)

Though it produced these 5 box plot, while the Y-aix has all the 10 strategy
labels.
*So the FIRST QUESTION is how to eliminate the other 5 strategies on the
Y-aix? *

Next, I used the POINTS() to plot the performance of specific funds in the
related box plot, which are from the portfolio.
and used TEXTXY() to label its name.

#label portfolio funds

for(i in 1:T){
#loop through all strategies

#get strategy
	strat = portStrats[i];

#identify all funds of that strategy
	idx = allFundStrats == strat;

#get returns of the all funds
	rets = allFundRets[idx];

#identify portfolio funds of the same strategy

	portidx = fundStrats == strat;
#get returns and names
	frets = fundrets[portidx];
	fnames = fundNames[portidx];

	N = length(frets);

#now figure out where to put the labels
	s = 1 / N;
		for (j in 1:N){
			yy = j * s + i*2;
			points(x=frets[j],y=yy,col="red");
			textxy(X=frets[j]*-1,Y=yy,labs=fnames[j]);
		}

}

*The ERROR is Error in xy.coords(x, y) : 'x' and 'y' lengths differ*
I think its because of the number of X&Y differs.

Can you guy help me to fix it?

Thank you so much.