[R] Reading in 9.6GB .DAT File - OK with 64-bit R?

RHelpPlease rrumple at trghcsolutions.com
Fri Mar 9 00:59:17 CET 2012

Hi Barry,

"You could do a similar thing in R by opening a text connection to
your file and reading one line at a time, writing the modified or
selected lines to a new file."

Great!  I'm aware of this existing, but don't know the commands for R.  I
have a variable [560,1] to use to pare down the incoming large data set (I'm
sure of millions of rows).  With other data sets they've been small enough
where I've been able to use the merge function after data has been read in.
Obviously I'm having trouble reading in this large data set in in the first
place.

Any additional help would be great!