[R] How to use ggplot to do the binned quantile plots(one type of scatter plot)?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 16:52:51 CET 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 11:33 AM, Michael wrote:

> How to use ggplot to do the binned quantile plots(one type of
> scatter plot)?

More like a quantile regression plot.

> Hi all,
>
> I have done scatter plot: plot(x, y).
>
> Now I wanted to do binned quantile plots... can ggplot2 help me?
>
> For example, we bin x data into 10 bins.
>
> For each bin, we draw the 10 deciles of the corresponding y data in
> that
> bin as points/dots.
>
> And then accross all bins, we would like to connect the corresponding
> decile points/dots together(something like equi-quantile or equi-
> decile
> curves)...
>
> How do I do that in R or ggplot2? Is there an existing function/
> command
> that can do this?

I'm not aware of it if there is. But I agree that it can be a very
informative display of data.  I do such plots on data structures
generated using tapply with age, sex categories and quantile() to
generate a value. It gets kind of hairy with the list structure that
results but if you have a more simple data situation it will probably
be more straightforward, and you should post it.

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

And you should learn to post in plain text

And you should read the Posting Guide.

And I already said that.

--

David Winsemius, MD