[R] Recommendations regarding textbooks

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:40:20 CET 2012

What level are you looking to teach?

MASS is fantastic but very terse; it presumes a good foundation in
statistics and deals mainly with the computational aspects. My guess
would be that this book would only really be suitable for a class with
a good pre-existing background knowledge who are willing to work-hard
and learn R quite rapidly. Once one's up to speed, however, it's a
pretty indispensable resource.

I don't know the other two books personally, but their authors are
quite well known in the R community and, like you, I've heard good
things about both [books]. Prof. Dalgaard is in R-Core and Prof. Fox
is an active package maintainer so they might jump in any minute to
clarify the level of their books.

Just browsing the ToC on Amazon, the subject matters also seem to be
somewhat different so it might also be worthwhile deciding which bits
of statistics your course aims to teach. If you can narrow down the
scope of the course you can probably get a better recommendation.

Hope this helps,
Michael