[R] Handling 8GB .txt file in R?

iliketurtles isaacm200 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:08:21 CET 2012

Hi,

I am mediocre at R, maybe 1000 hours experience, but I received an 8GB
dataset and I don't know what to do with it. I have to do extensive analysis
over it for my Honours thesis.

I can't even import it. I've tried;
- Splitting it up using the free csv-splitter-1.1.zip that seems to be
working for everyone else (it doesn't work for me, it just outputs 1 single
line).
- Splitting it with Text Splitter doesn't work because you have to load it
into memory first.
- Importing using BigMemory's big.matrix(), however my computer just
freezes.
- Importing using ff's read.table.ffdf(), however I get the error message
" in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,  :
  line 5 did not have 9 elements"

Thanks for any ideas and assistance.

Can R do this on a computer with 4 GB of memory and a dual core i5xx ?

-----
----

Isaac
Research Assistant