[R] Handling 8GB .txt file in R?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:20:54 CET 2012

Despair not! Malcom Gladwell would say you are 1/10 of the way to
becoming the next MozaRt!

You need to say how your data set is designed. Your problem with ff
seems to be that the lines are not of constant length: if they aren't
of a consistent CSV format, I wouldn't be surprised if a CSV splitter
had problems with them as well. If you are on a Unix-alike system,
this (the splitting) could be pretty easily done with awk/sed/perl,
but you need to define your problem much more clearly. If things
aren't nicely structured, you will almost certainly benefit from doing
a little bit of data preparation work with Unix utilities before

Michael