[R] Question on if i am allowed to do something

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 24 14:33:57 CEST 2012

On 12-05-24 8:23 AM, Giannis Mamalikidis wrote:
> Your answers were very helpful, thanks :)
>
> But, you see, the program I'm writing will be a team effort - and while I
> have not problem on making this program an open source - we don't really see
> eye to eye with the team on this.
> So no source code will be available - just freeware.
>
> R will not be at all altered! the only thing that R will do is be used to
> show a couple of plots, and make some t.test and ks.test.
>
> Does that qualify as a derivative work of R? Or would derivative work be if
> I altered R's Source code?

I would say that makes your program a derivative work, so you should not
distribute R as part of it.

But I am not a lawyer; in fact, I'm an interested party:  a copyright
holder on parts of R.  So I don't know if the law is on my side, but you
can be assured that you are violating the wishes of at least one R
copyright holder if you do distribute it in a closed source package.

Duncan Murdoch