[R] Question on if i am allowed to do something

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu May 24 15:01:57 CEST 2012

Giannis,

While your economic situation is appreciated, that you plan to give away your application and not generate any income from it, is irrelevant to the question.

The nuances as to how you are interfacing with R and that you plan to include R (importantly, possibly only a part of it) as a component of your application are. Not altering R's source code is similarly only one part of the issue, though if you were, you would be clearly crossing the line to a derivative work. However, even in that scenario there are other considerations as to whether or not those changes impact your application versus just the modified R code.

You are asking a legal question on a list that is focused on technical considerations and expecting the list participants to provide free legal advice, based upon which you may be making life altering decisions. While you may not be able to afford to pay a lawyer now, you and you partners may find yourselves needing to pay a lawyer in the future to defend yourselves against a lawsuit for copyright and licensing infringement. A situation, by the way, that won't be at all helpful to your future career.

You may wish to see if there are any lawyers locally or at your institution with specific experience in this domain who may be will to provide you with pro bono advice. Lacking expert legal advice, the only thing we can tell you is "don't do it" because you may be violating the GPL license and therefore may expose yourself and your partners to future legal risk.

Regards,

Marc