[R] Creation of text files for use with UCODE_2005

Jesse Robinson jrobin02 at syr.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:33:52 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm new to R-help, although I am a frequent user of its resources. I am
using the package REACTRAN to run some relatively simple transport modeling
(which we hope will evolve greater functionality over time). I would like to
optimize model parameters to match observed field data, and am interested in
using UCODE_2005 for this, which our lab has previously used to great
success.

The problem: creating the template and input files from R poses difficulty,
as the position of elements (strings, numerics, observation data and labels)
have to be exact in terms of spacing and width. Is there a package or
resource available that can help printing instruction files that simplify
this? You can imagine that if 5 spaces were required between variables in
rows, then 7 between the next, then 9, etc. this would be challenging.
Example (pasting here distorts space width):

jtf !                                        # FREE FORMAT
5.1  2.7  50.                                # HeadLeft HeadRight
WidthOfModel
!K                  ! !w                  !  # UCODE will Substitute K and W
with many signigifcant figures

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Jesse