[R] "eval" inside a function call in connection with updating the data slot in the call of lmer

Søren Højsgaard sorenh at math.aau.dk
Tue Sep 18 00:26:34 CEST 2012

Dear list,
Given a linear mixed model (from lme4) I want to 1) first change the input dataset and then 2) change the model formula. I want this to happen in a function call;
Please see below. Options 1) and 2) below work whereas 3) fails with the message
> foo()
Error in is.data.frame(data) : object 'beets2' not found

Question: What is it one must to in case 3) to have R look "inside" the function to figure out what "beets2" is?

Best regards
Søren
________________

library(pbkrtest)
data(beets)
lgs    <- lmer(sugpct~block+sow+harvest+(1|block:harvest), data=beets, REML=F)

foo <- function(){
	## 1)
	beets2 <- transform(beets, yy = sugpct * yield)
	ma1    <- lmer(yy~block+sow+harvest+(1|block:harvest), data=beets2, REML=F)
	ma0    <- update(ma1, yy~.)
	## 2)
	cl <- getCall(lgs)
	cl[["data"]] <- beets2