[R] Compiling R2.15.1 on ubuntu with x86-64 architecture and shared library

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Sep 18 00:16:11 CEST 2012

On 17 September 2012 at 23:51, Conklin, Mike (GfK Custom Research NA) wrote:
| I am sure I am providing insufficient information, please ask for more.
|
| I installed R 2.14.2 on my Ubuntu laptop with and AMD64 processor and also installed RStudio  and everything worked fine.
|
| Now, I tried to build R 2.15.1 from source and installed it using defaults. RStudio now complained that R was not built as a shared library.
|
| Went back and uninstalled, and configured with -enable-R-shlib
|
| Now make fails at:
| /usr/bin/ld: CConverters.o: relocation R_X86_64_325 against '.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
|
| Being new to Linux, I have no idea how to recompile with -fPIC
|
| Any help would be appreciated.

As I wrote on the r-sig-debian list (which also acts as help for Ubuntu) a
few hours ago:

   Please read the README in the bin/linux/ubuntu/ directory on any CRAN mirror, eg

      http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu

   and follow the instructions.  By adding a new and current source of R
   packages, provided by CRAN, you get the current version of R -- ie 2.15.1

Please use that to obtain a _binary_ of R 2.15.1 for your architecture. If
you get stuck, please subscribe to r-sig-debian and ask there.

Dirk