[R] custom startup/welcome message

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 5 09:35:43 CEST 2013

On 04/05/13 03:43, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 21:31, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM, lejeczek
>> <peljasz at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> yeap, I've done it,
>>> I was hoping for a complete customization,
>>> and even Rprofile.site adds only to what is being
>>> printed by default anyway,
>>> I mean that header is always there. R version.....
>>> untill "Type 'q()'..
>>> and R -q silences everything :(
>>>

>> I'm not sure what the question is now (and please
>> "context post"
>> instead of top-posting) -- I suppose you could patch the
>> C code that
>> prints that message if you want it to say something else.
>> You'd have
>> to re-build R but it's easy code to change.
>>
>> It's at the top of $R_HOME/src/main/version.c:
>> http://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/main/version.c
>

> Hmm, removing other people's copyright notices is bad
> form, and against the licence if you distribute the
> modified version.

Michael,
copyright, copyleft, it's not about it, if it was then we
probably would not be discussing it, for.. there probably
would not had been R in the first place.
I'm sure everybody here greatly appreciate open source, I
have no doubts about is, massive respect, we all contribute,
no need to preach it.
Jim,
I was afraid that would be the last resort, Rprofile, as I
understand it, cannot alter this very first "welcome"
message, can add to it but not change it.
maybe somewhere in R code though, no?
practicalities dictate terms I'm trying to work with, hoping
this limited space for text, R-studio in my case, I can make
more "useful"
and it's Linux it all runs on

regards everybody