[R] path reference problems in R 3.0.0

Melissa Key mkcheste at mac.com
Sun Apr 28 08:27:08 CEST 2013

On Apr 28, 2013, at 2:15 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> a) You seem to be under the impression that running as Administrator fixes problems... in my experience, it simply multiplies them. [1]

On a windows machine, I don't have any impressions either way.  I find the entire OS to be counter-intuitive and annoying, and I tend to take the path of least resistance when it comes to playing with it.  the point I was trying to make was that it isn't an "insufficient privileges" problem.  I understand your point (and the point of the link you sent), and I'll see how easy I find it to change the install folders to a user folder.  (right now, I do everything except installs in Rstudio, so its pretty easy to open a instance of Rgui just for the install.packages

> b) Your personal library is in an unusual place... it is usually an R directory under your Documents folder...
>
> C:\Users\melissa\R\win-library\3.0
>
> should normally be
>
> C:\Users\melissa\Documents\R\win-library\3.0
>
> on a Win7 system.  This mis-location may be related to your problems.

This sounds like a potential culprit (along with c).  I've been doing standard R installs (nothing fancy, I promise), so I'm not sure why this would be the case.  Is there any easy way to correct this?

Thanks for your response!

Melissa