[R] step() and multicore

Michal Kvasnička prgosek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 11:26:20 CEST 2013

Hallo.

I'm running step() on lm() in R version 2.15.1 within RStudio on my
xUbuntu Linux computer with 4 core processor.

Linux top command states that rsession (R) is using from 100 % to
about 330 % of the processor, which (I think) means that R is using
more than one core. Is it possible? I thought that R is limited to one
core, unless explicitly using multicore or similar package. If it is
so, when it happens? Is there some general statement about this
feature? (However, the overall processor use detected by top command
is about  30% user load and 40% system load overall when rsession uses
330 % of one processor.)

Many thanks.
Michal