[R] Modifying Package Data

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 6 21:34:01 CET 2013

My sense is that even if this were possible (which I doubt), it would be
outside the scope of what would be considered appropriate in R (assuming I
understand the question). After all, it's someone else's package, theirs
to control and maintain, etc. What if it's an installation of R on a
multi-user platform, and other users might use the same package but not
want the modified data?

I would likely save the modified data frame with a slightly different
name, arrange some way to make it easily available, and then just use it,
rather than the original. There are various ways to make it readily
available.

If I always wanted the data to be available when I load the package, what
I might do is download the source package, make a copy of it, modify the
data object in the copy, rename the package (slightly), then build and
install it. Then I would just load the modified package instead of the
original.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen