[R] help on plotting series with different x-axis values on a graph with one x-axis

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 16:49:14 CET 2013

On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Eike Marie Thaysen wrote:

> Hi,
> I have run into this problem a couple of times now and hope you can
> help!
>
> If I want to plot  mulitiple series with differing x-axis values
> (however, all in the same range) in 1 plot with one common axis R
> obstruses the plots.
>
> E.g. if I plot water content against time and I start with the
> sampler at 5 cm depth, it plots that one right.
> But the next depth, 15 cm, is measured at slightly different time
> intervals  and so R will not plot the series correctly.
> Reading in the data using  “ stringsAsFactors=FALSE” helps, but the
> lines are still plottet in an akward fashion (edgy) , see attached
> image.
> Hope you can help!
> eike

No image was attached. It was probably in a format the the mail server
would not accept. PDF files are the only one listed as being
acceptable, but I think from experience that PNG files might also make
it through. It would probably also help if you offered the output of
str(dfrm) on whateever dataframe you are working with.

--
David.