[R] calculating seconds

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Wed Feb 20 17:29:50 CET 2013

> I'm looking at some data which has the time in seconds since
> 1992/10/8,
> 15:15:42.5
>
> Are there any functions currently available to "translate"
> this or should I just do my own?

strptime() goes from date formats to seconds.

For going the other way, see ?DateTimeClasses  for a lot of information on dates and times, and (probably) ?as.POSIXct for changing something in seconds (as the Examples say, 'a large integer') into a date-time class which you should be able to convert to other things more easily.

S Ellison