[R] Amelia algorithm

zGreenfelder zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 00:27:53 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Martin <Lhopm at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear all.
>
> First of all, my english isn't verry good, but I hope I can convey my concern.
> I've a general question about the Amelia algorithm. I'm no mathematician or
> statistician, but I had to use R and impute and analyse some data, and Amelia
> showed results that fitted my expectations. I'll have to defend my choice soon,
> but I haven't totally grasped what Amelia does. I'm particularly interested in a
> simple as possible explanation in how Amelia imputation works. I've read that it
> uses a bootstrapping-based algorithm, but how does it chose the values?
> The data had mainly value >0 (chemical concentrations, water temperature and
> pH-value).
>
> Regards Martin

I'm pretty new here, but a quick google search suggests that perhaps
http://gking.harvard.edu/amelia (and maybe google translate)
might have some decent pointers for you.

I poked at the documentation from that site (a pdf file), and it's
quite intense on
the mathematics, you may get more from it than I could.  there's also
a link there
to a separate, for thisspecific package/algorithm  (it seems to be
called Amel ia II,
 I'm assuming this is the same that you used, if I'm off .. sorry about that)

HTH
--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.