[R] R's configure on Fedora 17

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 11 15:55:21 CET 2013

>>>>> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
>>>>>     on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:49:26 +0000 writes:

    > On 11/01/2013 01:50, Rolf Turner wrote:
    >> Some while ago I posted a problem on this list concerning a failure of
    >> R CMD check on one of my packages that resulted from LaTeX being
    >> unable to find the "inconsolata" font.  This was under the Ubuntu OS.
    >> This was solved, thanks to advice I got from this list, basically by
    >> doing
    >> sudo apt-get install texlive-fonts-extra
    >> I am now (for reasons which I won't go into) running Fedora 17, on a
    >> different computer.  Now LaTeX cannot find the necessary inconsolata.sty
    >> file.
    >> I googled around a bit, and an item I found led me to check whether I
    >> actually had texlive installed on my (new) system.  I hadn't!!!  So I did
    >> sudo yum install texlive
    >> and that seemed to work.  But then the item I'd found indicated that I
    >> should do
    >> sudo yum install texlive-inconsolata, texlive-inconsolata-font
    >> But I got:
    >>> No package texlive-inconsolata, available.
    >>> No package texlive-inconsolata-font available.
    >> I also tried
    >> sudo yum install texlive-fonts-extra
    >> with a similar result.
    >> Can anyone give me a simple recipe as to how to get the inconsolata font
    >> and the associated inconsolata.sty?

    > Install texlive 2012.  The texlive version in Fedora (<= 17, and 17 is 
    > the current release with 18 having been delayed yet again) is many years 
    > out of date (2007: this is 2013!), and you will save yourself a lot of 
    > other problems.

Interesting.. Thank you Brian.

Just having my hands on a notebook with Fedora 17 on which I
would not want to spend much time (it's not mine; but I'll use
it in a course because it is dual boot Windows), I find that


*hangs* completely after printing the lines

checking for install-info... /usr/sbin/install-info
checking for texi2dvi... /usr/bin/texi2dvi
checking for kpsewhich... /usr/bin/kpsewhich

both for R-patched and  R-devel

which seems  "not optimal" even with an outdated TeX setup.

The next line typically printed would be the search for unzip,
but I cannot imagine that it would hang there,
but rather when finishing the kpsewhich configuration part.

I'd like to help if to make R's  configure  more robust here...


More information about the R-help mailing list