[R] How to create a random matrix with conditions

D. Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Mon Jan 28 09:04:18 CET 2013

You didn't say how you want these variables to be distributed, but in
case you want a multivariate normal, then have a look at function
mvrnorm() from package MASS, and especially at the 'empirical' argument,
e.g.,

library(MASS)

# assumed covariance matrix
V <- cbind(c(2, 1), c(1, 1.2))

x1 <- mvrnorm(1000, c(0,0), V, empirical = FALSE)
var(x1)

x2 <- mvrnorm(1000, c(0,0), V, empirical = TRUE)
var(x2)

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris