[R] Installing R on Fedora 18 Linux?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jul 7 06:53:24 CEST 2013

Fedora does have the latest (both Fedora 18/19) R in the repos. (They
are pretty good about this).

To install R, try:

sudo yum install R-core

That will do it.

To update, rather than install:

try

sudo yum update R-core

HTH,
Ranjan

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:22:13 -0700 Peter Langfelder
<peter.langfelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> You have several options. You can use theF18  package manager to
> install R directly from a Fedora software repository but the R may be
> slightly out of date (IIRC Fedora 19 provides R-3.0.0; not sure about
> F18).
>
> Or, on your CRAN mirror page, ignore the "Download and install R"
> section and go straight to "Source code for all platforms". There you
> can choose R-3.0.1.tar.gz or (my personal preference) go to "Daily
> snapshots of current patched and development versions". There choose
> the link R-patched.tar.gz (without a date; it is a link to the newest
> patched release).
>
> Once you downloaded the tar.gz bundle, proceed as described in the manual.
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter
>
> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Spencer Graves
> <spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >

> >       I'm trying to install R under Fedora 18 Linux, and I'm confused.  The
> > "R Installation and Administration" manual, sec. 1.1, says, "The simplest
> > way is to download the most recent R-x.y.z.tar.gz file". However, I don't
> > know how to get that.  My favorite CRAN mirror offers a "Precombiled binary"
> > via "Download R for Linux".  That takes me to an index with options debian,
> > redhat, suse, and ubuntu.  Redhat gives me an index with options el4, el5,
> > fedora10, and fedora11.  I don't think I want any of those.
> >

> >       Suggestions?
> >       Thanks,
> >       Spencer

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.