[R] Announcing TIBCO Enterprise Runtime for R

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 22:58:40 CEST 2013

Hi Louis,

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum; feel free to
direct me elsewhere.

Can you say a bit more about what exactly constitute the advantages of
TERR over R as most readers of this list know it? Some random points
of interest to me:

1. Do you have concrete benchmarks of what sorts of operations are
faster? In particular, are you, like Revolution, licensing MKL?
2. Your white-paper boasts of superior memory management; can you give
more details? Are we now reference counting, or abandoning
copy-on-write to play better with fork(), or running concurrently? In
turn, does this mean the C-API is not kept as is and any package with
compiled code isn't usable?
3. You speak of being more robust: is this at a language level
(i.e.,something simpler to use than try()/tryCatch()) or an
implementation level? If the latter, what non-robustnesses are being
addressed?
4. What are y'all's plans for supporting TERR as 'regular R' evolves?
Will it track or will things diverge over time?
5. Known (and not intended to change) differences?
6. Is the whole R-level API exposed or only a selected subset? I'm
thinking in particular of (1) things like .colMeans() which seem
rather tied to the implementation; (2) graphics devices; (3) the
promise mechanism and copy-on-write semantics?

Cheers,
Michael